Description: Pop and country idol Taylor Swift is interviewed about her meteoric career. The video reveals that she knew from a very young age what she wanted to achieve and executed a plan to get it.
Source: 60 Minutes (www.cbsnews.com)
Date: November 20, 2011
Questions for discussion:
- What aspects of the planning process are evident from the interview? Specifically, discuss Taylor Swift’s desire to go to Nashville and her decision to “walk” from her development contract with RCA.
- As you watch the video, would you characterize Ms. Swift as a short- (responding to things that happen one by one) or long-range (being able to project into the future) planner?
- How would you describe young (i.e., before her record contract) Ms. Swift’s goals and execution? Does she need to be concerned with goals now? How would you advise her?
- During the interview, Taylor Swift was described as a “cultural leader.” What traits does she possess that qualify her as a leader?
- Is Ms. Swift a charismatic leader? Why or why not? Does she exhibit transformational leadership?